Friday, July 6, 2012

Arwen Chase Costume: Bodice

Hey Everyone!

I hope you are all having a great Friday! :) 
Today I'm going to take a look at the bodice on the Arwen Chase dress.
If you want a really in depth look at this costume, you can see this page at Alley Cat Scratch, which is personally one of my favorite websites ever!   

As mentioned before, the dress/overcoat is made of a dove grey suede. 

The bodice is princess seamed, and the princess seams have the baseball stitch done over them.  (Yeah, I know, "baseball stitch" does not sound nearly as pretty as "princess seam", but the stitch DOES look lovely!)  It you aren't aware of what princess seams are or how to make them, you may want to check out this great tutorial from The Blog for Better Sewing. 


Pic found here.

You can see the baseball stitch on the princess seam in the lower left hand corner of the above picture.  If you don't know how to do a baseball stitch yet, Star Dust Shoes has a GREAT picture tutorial here.  I highly recommend using this tutorial is you would like to learn the stitch.    

As you can also see in this picture, the collar has some lovely lace sewn onto it.  I really love how it adds some texture to the costume!  If you are looking to re-create this costume I will again redirect you to Alley Cat Scratch!  The collar has proved to be a challenge for almost everyone who has made this costume.  Alley Cat Scratch has a great pages on making the collar, here, here and here

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the thread used for the baseball stitch may be something like embroidery floss and it appears to be white. 

Moving on the the front lacing!


Pic found here

Ok, the front lacing is not actually doing any shaping.  It is just there for decoration, and I have to say, it looks amazing!  The sash looks like a purple-ish/grey/blue and it made from light silk.  I extends pretty far down, about 2/3 of the way down the skirt part of the dress.  There are 3 little loops on each side that the sash is laced through.  It then laces through the pretty silver "buckle" on the front.  

Phew!  This has been a LOT to think about! :)  I'll save the sleeves and buckle for my next post, because they have quite a few things to make note of. 

Have a wonderful day!




No comments:

Post a Comment